"YESTER, a parish in county Haddington, Scotland. It comprises the post-office village of Gifford, and the hamlets of Long-Pester and Long-Newton. It extends in length about 6½ miles from N. to S., with an extreme breadth of 5 miles, and is bounded on the S. by Berwickshire, and elsewhere by the parishes of Humbic, Bolton, Haddington and Garvald. Its surface is hilly, abounding in sheep-walks. A portion of the land is under excellent cultivation. The strata belong to the carboniferous formation, with the exception of the hills, which are greywacke. The soil is principally of a clayey nature upon a subsoil of clay. There were formerly quarries of red sandstone and limestone, but both have been abandoned. The parish is traversed by the road from Haddington to Lauder, and by that from Tranent to Dunn. The village of Long Pester is about 2 miles S.E. of Gifford, and 6 S.S.E. of Hallington. It is situated at the foot of Lammermoor Hills. The parish is in the presbytery of Haddington and synod of Lothian and Tweeddale. The stipend of the minister is about £264. The parish church, situated at Gifford, was erected in 1708, and was restored in 1830. There is a Free church at Pester, and three parochial schools, situated respectively at Gifford, Long-Pester, and Long-Newton. The Rev. Mr. Innis, the late aged minister, survived four Marquises of Tweeddale, and buried all the heritors of his day, all his elders, and all his congregation. The principal seat is Pester House, the residence of the Marquis of Tweeddale. Within its grounds is the tower built by Hugh Gifford prior to 1267, and including Bobhall, the goblin hall mentioned in "Marmion." This parish, which is indifferently called Pester, or Gifford, was called Bothons before the 16th century."
"GIFFORD, a post village in the parish of Yester, county Haddington, Scotland, 4 miles S. of the town of Haddington. It is pleasantly situated on the right side of the river Gifford, a tributary of the Tyne. The village contains some well-built houses, the parish church, schools, brick-fields, and saw-mill. It takes its name from its ancient proprietors, the Giffords of Yester, who were created marquises of Tweeddale in 1694. Dr. J. Witherspoon was a native of this village. Gifford popularly gives name to the whole parish of Yester. A market is held on Monday during harvest time. Fairs are held on the following Tuesdays: the last in March, third in June, fourth in July, and the first in October."
"LONG NEWTON, a village in the parish of Yester, county Haddington, Scotland, 6 miles S. by E. of Haddington. It is situated at the foot of the Lammermuir hills, near Gifford water.