|East Lothian||Contents||Nearby places|
"TYNNINGHAME, an ancient parish, containing a post-office village of its own name, on the coast of Haddingtonshire. It now forms the southern district of the united parish of Whitekirk and Tynninghame. The name is the ham, the ing, and the Tyne, of the Anglo-Saxon, collocated in reversed order, and meaning the hamlet of the meadow of the Tyne; and it graphically describes the position of the village, 300 yards from the northern margin of the Tyne, on a beautiful piece of ground which gently slopes to the river's edge. The original church was founded so early as the 6th century by the celebrated St Baldred, the Culdee apostle of East Lothian; and was one of the three which, in a subsequent age of superstition, contested the honour of possessing his mortal remains." from the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.A lengthier description is available.
| This map shows
the location of the parish in the county.
|| [View Maps of the Area.]
An earlier record of some of the baptisms, marriages and burials in the
parish may be found in the Kirk Session records of the parish which are held
in the Scottish
Record Office in Edinburgh.
Extracts for this parish from the 1868 National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland are available.Nearby places can be identified from the GENUKI Gazetteer.
For a social and economic record of the parishes of East Lothian together with considerable statistical material, see Sir John Sinclair's Statistical Account of Scotland, which was compiled in the 1790s. Follow-up works to this were the New Statistical Account (also known as the Second Statistical Account) which was prepared in the 1830s and 1840s; and more recently the Third Statistical Account which has been prepared since the Second World War.
Thanks to a joint venture between the Universities of Glasgow and Edinburgh the First and Second Statistical Accounts can now be accessed on-line at The Statistical Accounts of Scotland, 1791-1799 and 1845.