|East Lothian||Contents||Nearby places|
"STENTON, a parish, containing a post-office village of its own name, in the eastern part of Haddingtonshire. It consists of two mutually detached districts, a southern and a northern. The southern district lies wholly among the Lammermoors. with a declination southward to the Whitadder; and is bounded by Berwickshire, by Whittingham, and by the Lammermoor sections of Dunbar and Spott ... The parish was originally and long called Petcox, from the village of that name; and seems to have acquired the designation of Staneton, or Stonetown, from the stoniness of the ground in the district round the church. In ancient times it was first a chapelry, and next a prebend of Dunbar and a rectory." from the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.A lengthier description is available.
| This map shows
the location of the parish in the county.
|| [View Maps of the Area.]
Photos of the church are available.
The parish church (Church of Scotland) has registers dating from 1668. Old Parish Registers (before 1855) are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in local libraries and in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Later parish registers (after 1855) are often held in the Scottish Record Office as are any records of non-conformist churches in the area (often unfilmed and unindexed, and only available there).
Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. For details of these and other records held at the General Register Office in Edinburgh, see the GRO tutorial.
Extracts for this parish from the 1868 National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland are available.Nearby places can be identified from the GENUKI Gazetteer.
The Scottish Record Office holds the following as part of its collection of maps and plans:
Here are some figures showing the parish's population through time:
For a social and economic record of the parishes of East Lothian together with considerable statistical material, see Sir John Sinclair's Statistical Account of Scotland, which was compiled in the 1790s. Follow-up works to this were the New Statistical Account (also known as the Second Statistical Account) which was prepared in the 1830s and 1840s; and more recently the Third Statistical Account which has been prepared since the Second World War.
Thanks to a joint venture between the Universities of Glasgow and Edinburgh the First and Second Statistical Accounts can now be accessed on-line at The Statistical Accounts of Scotland, 1791-1799 and 1845.