|East Lothian||Contents||Nearby places|
"PENCAITLAND, a parish, containing the post-office station of Pencaitland, and the villages of Easter Pencaitland, Wester Pencaitland, and Newton, in the western division of Haddingtonshire. It is bounded by Gladsmuir, Salton, Ormiston, and Tranent ... Population in 1831, 1,166; in 1861, 1,187." from the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.A lengthier description is available.
| This map shows
the location of the parish in the county.
|| [View Maps of the Area.]
In his entry for the Statistical Account of Scotland (compiled 1790s, see the Statistics section of the East Lothian page for more details) the Rev. Henry Sangster made the following comment about deficiencies in the registration of births in the parish of Pencaitland in the late 18th century:
"in the country parishes, many of the common people, since the date of the tax upon the registration of baptisms, do not register the births in their families"
Extracts for this parish from the 1868 National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland are available.Nearby places can be identified from the GENUKI Gazetteer.
For a social and economic record of the parishes of East Lothian together with considerable statistical material, see Sir John Sinclair's Statistical Account of Scotland, which was compiled in the 1790s. Follow-up works to this were the New Statistical Account (also known as the Second Statistical Account) which was prepared in the 1830s and 1840s; and more recently the Third Statistical Account which has been prepared since the Second World War.
Thanks to a joint venture between the Universities of Glasgow and Edinburgh the First and Second Statistical Accounts can now be accessed on-line at The Statistical Accounts of Scotland, 1791-1799 and 1845.