"PENCAITLAND, a parish in the county of Haddington, Scotland. It comprises the villages of Easter Pencaitland, Wester Pencaitland, and Newton. It extends in length about 4 miles from N.E. to S.W., with a breadth of 3 miles, and is bounded by the parishes of Gladsmuir, Salton, Ormiston, and Tranent. The surface is moderately flat, and is well cultivated. The soil, although of a wet and clayey nature, has of late years been greatly improved. Coal, lime, and freestone are profitably worked. The villages of Easter and Wester Pencaitland are connected by an ancient stone bridge of 3 arches, which spans the river Tyne near the centre of the parish. There are mineral springs in the neighbourhood. The parish is traversed by the road from Tranent to Lauder. This parish is in the presbytery of Haddington and synod of Lothian and Tweeddale. The minister has a stipend of £316. The parish church is commodious. There are a Free church and a parochial school, besides other schools. Pencaitland House and Winton House are the principal residences; the latter was erected in 1619, and was the seat of the earls of Winton."
"NEWTON, a village in the parish of Pencaitland, county Haddington, Scotland, 4 miles S.E. of Tranent. It is situated near the river Tyne. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the collieries, and in the quarries of limestone and freestone. The surface is thickly wooded, and the soil in general wet and clayey, and but indifferently cultivated.
"NISBET, a village in the parish of Pencaitland, county Haddington, Scotland, 2 miles N.W. of East Salton, and 4½ S.W. of Haddington. It is situated on the left bank of the river Tyne."
"WINTON, a hamlet in the parish of Pencaitland, county Haddington, Scotland, 3 miles S.E. of Tranent, on the river Tyne."