Genuki Logo  Genuki Contents GENUKI
Contents
    Gladsmuir Gladsmuir

GLADSMUIR

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]

"GLADSMUIR, a parish and post town in the county Haddington, Scotland, 4 miles W. of Haddington, and containing the villages of Longniddry, Samuelston, and Penston. It is situated between the rivers Forth and Tyne, not far from Preston-Pans, and is otherwise bordered by the parishes of Aberlady, Haddington, Salton, Pencaitland, and Tranent. It extends over an area of 10 square miles. The surface becomes elevated towards the centre. The soil is not rich, but has been much improved, and is now well husbanded. This parish is in the presbytery of Haddington and synod of Lothian and Tweeddale, in the patronage of the Earl of Hopetoun and the crown. The church has been lately rebuilt. Here are four non-parochial schools, a library, and two friendly societies. The old church of Gladsmuir was built in 1695, when the place was erected into a separate parish. Coal, ironstone, and freestone are worked, and limestone and fire-clay occur in great plenty. The road from Edinburgh to Berwick, and the North British railway, pass through this parish. George Heriot was born here, and Robertson, the Scotch historian, was some time incumbent of the parish. The principal landowners are the earls of Wemyss, Haddington, and Hopetoun, and the Bailie of Lamington. A circular rising ground at the Laird's Dyke is the only trace of the ancient mansion of the Douglases of Longniddry, who entertained John Knox when forced to retire from St. Andrew's. The ruins of Knox's chapel exist near Longniddry."

"ELVINGSTON, a village in the parish of Gladsmuir, county Haddington, Scotland, 4 miles N.E. of Tranent."

"LONGNIDDRY, a village in the parish of Gladsmuir, county Haddington, Scotland, 3 miles S.W. of Aberlady. It is a junction station of the North British railway. The old mansion where John Knox was tutor is now in ruins."

"PENSTON, a village in the parish of Gladsmuir, county Haddington, Scotland, 5 miles S.W. of Haddington, and 3 E. of Tranent. It is situated on rising ground a short distance from the Edinburgh and Berwick road, and in the centre of one of the largest coal districts in the country. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the collieries. Penston belongs to - Bailie, Esq., whose family have held the barony for 550 years."

"SAMUELSTON, a village in the parish of Gladsmuir, county Haddington, 3 miles S.W. of Haddington, and 5 E. of Tranet. It is a small scattered village situated on the left bank of the river Tyne. There are two corn mills and a saw mill."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.

Are you lost in the Genuki hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


[Last updated at 21.03 on Thursday, 27 March 2003, Gaz3 v01.25, by David Howie. 2000]

Valid HTML 4.0!