|East Lothian||Contents||Nearby places|
"BOLTON, a parish in Haddingtonshire, bounded by the parishes of Haddington, Gifford, Humbie, and Salton. Its post-town is Haddington, 2 3/4 miles north of the church. The length of the parish northward is nearly 6 miles; and the average breadth is not more than about 1 1/4 mile. Gifford or Coalstone Water, a stream of much gentle beauty, flows along the north-eastern and northern boundary; and Binn's Water, from about the point of its debouch from the Lammermoors, flows along the southern boundary. The surface of the parish is agreeably diversified with undulations, but does not contain any upland or hill ... Population in 1831, 332; in 1861, 332." from the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.
A lengthier description is available.
| This map shows
the location of the parish in the county.
|| [View Maps of the Area.]
For information on monumental inscriptions in the parish, see the Bolton and Saltoun Church Home Page.
For information on the history of the parish, see the Bolton and Saltoun Church Home Page. Another photo of the church is also available.
The parish church (Church of Scotland) has registers dating from 1685. Old Parish Registers (before 1855) are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in local libraries and in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Later parish registers (after 1855) are often held in the Scottish Record Office as are any records of non-conformist churches in the area (often unfilmed and unindexed, and only available there).
Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. For details of these and other records held at the General Register Office in Edinburgh, see the GRO tutorial.
Extracts for this parish from the 1868 National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland are available.Nearby places can be identified from the GENUKI Gazetteer.
For information on the history of the parish, see the Bolton and Saltoun Church Home Page.
Here are some figures showing the parish's population through time:
For a social and economic record of the parishes of East Lothian together with considerable statistical material, see Sir John Sinclair's Statistical Account of Scotland, which was compiled in the 1790s. Follow-up works to this were the New Statistical Account (also known as the Second Statistical Account) which was prepared in the 1830s and 1840s; and more recently the Third Statistical Account which has been prepared since the Second World War.
Thanks to a joint venture between the Universities of Glasgow and Edinburgh the First and Second Statistical Accounts can now be accessed on-line at The Statistical Accounts of Scotland, 1791-1799 and 1845.