"BOLTON, a parish in the county of Haddington, Scotland, 3 miles to the S. of Haddington. It lies on the banks of Gifford Water and Binns Water, and is partly wooded. The manor was given, about the end of the 12th century, to the Viponts, by William the Lion. After several changes of ownership, it was seized about 1600 by the Hepburns, one of whom took part, with Bothwell, in the murder of Darnley, and was executed for the crime. The manor was afterwards held by Secretary Maitland, and now belongs to Lord Blantyre. The living, of the value of £154, is in the presbytery of Haddington, in the patronage of Lord Blantyre. There is a Free church for Bolton and Salton."